Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Passion and Devotion

I have been hearing about Byju and his unique CAT coaching for an year now. Although I heard raving reviews about his captivating techniques from his students who were my buddies, I had never considered giving it a shot until I attended his intro-workshop. It all started with an ordinary but honest looking ad in hindu urging CAT aspirants to try out this "new kid in the block" and because it was free I decided to try it out.

Next day after I registered, I received a call from a guy who introduced himself as Byju himself. Now that was unique, we had a small chat and he told me that he is also from Kannur( I knew he was from Kannur the minute he started talking in malayalam :) ).

The Jyothy Nivas college auditorium of capacity 1000 people was half full on that sunday morning. Byju introduced himself quite confidently and told us all that he was a 100 percentiler in multiple CATs. I have always thought myself to be a supremely confident person, but the astounding confidence with which Byju went on introducing himself and his venture made me reconsider my guaging metric. Although I was impressed with his confidence alone, that was nothing compared to the high octane Quant class which was going to follow it. Byju flitted from numbers to Permutations & Combinations to Geometry to Speed, Distance and Time with unwavering ease. Each and every word in that session was a value add to a serious CAT aspirant. When it finally drew to close at 12, I suddenly realised that I have lost track of time and this session was unlike any gruelling Quant session I have ever attended and this teacher is someone with a real passion for math. In the end, Byju announced that he will start a CAT batch next week and interested people can lock their seats with a token advance. I really didn't do that, I coughed out the entire amount for I was convinced that this was the teacher I was looking for, if any one could help me get through CAT, it is this man - Byju Raveendran.

Epilogue:

CAT 2008 was my fourth attempt at CAT and I have tried TIME classroom classes in 2005 and 2007. In 2006, I tried IMS Simcats. None of them really helped me in CAT. Ofcourse the Mockcats were a good practice. So as I have already mentioned, I tried Noesis Education a.k.a Byju's CAT classes in 2008 and got calls from IIMB and IIMS. I needn't tell you what was different this year. Byju and Santhosh(VA teacher at Noesis) gave me knowledge, taught me tricks and gave me supreme confidence which culminated in a good performance at CAT.

31 comments:

Anonymous said...

mmm sounds good! All the best for ur interviews.go.....get it!!Sajesh

Arjun Mohan said...

Thanks buddy

Anonymous said...

Byju's CAT class

Contact numbers : 09880031619
09986075402

URL of home page: http://www.noesiseducation.com/

RicochetRabbit said...

Hi...I was looking for openions about Byju's calsses and stumbled upon your post....

Even I attended his free workshop last week and I have to decide by tomorrow whether to join his new upcoming batch...
I am in 2 minds...I wanted to know whether all his sessions in the classes will be as gripping and as helpful as was the free workshop. In addition to that, is it practically vialbel to apply all his tricks and techniques, cuz learning them is one thing but one should also be able to apply them in real time...

Please advise me...

Thank you.

Arjun Mohan said...

Hi,

All the Quant and DI classes are really interesting and packed with short cuts. I think nearly 75% of the techniques are easily reproducible. For the remaining 25%, you will have to have some practice with them.

Unknown said...

hey der.. can u suggest to me.. hw good is byju tutorials fer a person aiming to crack gre

Arjun Mohan said...

Hi Sapna,

Byju's material is of 10 notches higher standard than what you need for GRE.

GRE is a completely different beast altogether with focus on a lot of verbal stuff, I am afraid that Byju's CAT or GMAT material will be of little use.

I heard that Byju is launching a separate package for GRE employing his tricks. Why don't you try to find out the same

Unknown said...

thanks so much for de info arjun :) wel, in tat case can u suggest some good tutorial for GRE or in case u arent aware of it, cud u plz refer me2 some one who has good knowledge bout GRE :)

Arjun Mohan said...

Sapna,

In my opinion, one don't need any coaching to crack GRE. Just follow the Barron's latest version, it will suffice for the verbal part.

The quant section is extremely simple, just take some model exams and you will master the question types. This strategy worked well for me.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

byju sucks... waste of Rs 20,000

Unknown said...

what dyu think is a good score in GRE ??? Say am appying to stanford for electrical engineering.....
What was your score?

Arjun Mohan said...

@Ashwin - GRE score is pretty much a cut-off these days and institutes like Stanford looks more into your profile and you SOP. They don't need a GRE score, they just need your TOEFEL atleast the electrical dept which I applied to didnt need it

Anonymous said...

i have attended his three day free sessions..the classes are only good of u have good base of maths as he is so fast and due to the high class size, it will be difficult to cop up....he is a simply gy.i liked him...but the classes....will give 60/100

rishi said...

I am a FY Bcom student willing to take the CAT 2013. Even I attended the free seminar held recently in Ahmedabad. Mr. Byju said it was for those candidates who wish to take the exam in coming November. Since i need to work hard in the quant section i need gruelling preparation from coming month itself..please suggest me is it...worth joining for a sutdent like me who hails from a commerce( non maths ) background.

rishi said...

I am a FY Bcom student willing to take the CAT 2013. Even I attended the free seminar held recently in Ahmedabad. Mr. Byju said it was for those candidates who wish to take the exam in coming November. Since i need to work hard in the quant section i need gruelling preparation from coming month itself..please suggest me is it...worth joining for a sutdent like me who hails from a commerce( non maths ) background.

Henna Singh said...

Hi, i joined CL for CAT 2011 but flunked badly, this time am thinking of joining online CAT course by Byju. Could you please suggest if it would be worth buying or not.

henna said...

Hi, i joined CL for CAT 2011 but flunked badly, this time am thinking of joining online CAT course by Byju. Could you please suggest if it would be worth buying or not.

Arjun Mohan said...

@Henna - Byju's classes is a good option coz he unlike others focuses on CAT level questions from day 1. So there is no wasting of time. But in my opinion, you can do well only if you put effort alongside with his coaching especially by doing MOCK CATs. Enroll for a MOCK CAT and ensure that you do a MOCK CAT every week. That ll definitely get u cracking CAT this year. Good luck.

anku51 said...

hy hows is byju class for cat12? is there chances to crack cat after 2 month preparation in byju class?

Arjun Mohan said...

Hi Ankur,

2 months will be enough if you are comfortable with ur basics of quant, DI and verbal. Byju has a crash course where he discusses some short cuts which from my experience have been very effective. I suggest joining if you are comfortable with basics and focus on solving mock papers using short cuts byju discusses.

Anonymous said...

Attended byju classes he is fantastic I love him

Priya said...

Hi I am confused weather to join BYJU'S classroom classes or online course. Please suggest whats the difference and how helpful will be online course. I am going to take CAT for the first time.. Regards,
Priya

Arjun Mohan said...

Priya,

I don't have any information about their online course. The classroom one helped me when I took CAT in 2009. I am not aware how well it is delivered now.
You could talk to Byju's office at 9880031619 and clear your questions.

Thanks

sunitha said...

hiiii
i want to attend for byju's weekend classes from june. is that a better option???
and i want to crack CAT2013??
reply me >>..

susritha said...

whether joining byju classes now to crack CAT2013 will be a better option???
reply me

Arjun Mohan said...

Hi Sunitha & Sushrita,

Ideally you people should attend a free class for both QA/DI and verbal and see if you are able to benefit from this. You can join after that.
Byju's classes worked for me. You can contact his office at 09880031619
and 09986075402 and get permission to attend a free trial class.